W E I R D

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

HOLY...

If any one could prove to me that Christ is outside the truth, and if the truth really did exclude Christ, I should prefer to stay with Christ and not with the truth.

-Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Foreword:

I do not have in depth knowledge about bible or the life of Jesus Christ detailed in the Bible. My views may be naïve and lack character. The views I have had about bible, the language and the religion has evolved from the view of an outsider(if I may say so).

I have gone through bible long back on my own interest as I did with the Quran. My superficial knowledge was not helped at all by my Christian friends who failed to answer questions which appeared simple for me. I had attended Christian prayer meetings while I was doing my pre-degree. Those times were the best when I could have cleared all my doubts with theologians who lead prayer meetings. But, as I always am, reluctance to pose my doubts before others held me back. Now that I have got some opening, let me make the best of the opportunity.

I met, on orkut, one Christian friend named Remya Abraham [introduced by Bibin(partner in crime)], who has good knowledge of Bible and Christianity. Here are a few questions I asked and her reply for it. I don’t know why am blogging this. Yet, am doing it as usual.

Context:

I approached bible not only as a religious text, but also as a philosophical guide. I strongly felt that it contained the simple message which would change any man’s life better. I was searching for this in the New Testament where I came across the death of Jesus Christ in the gospels of New Testament.

I always had wondered about the relationship god and Jesus had shared. I had always understood it in my mind as a father-son relationship which my Christian friends approved of.

But, as I went through the gospels of Mathew, Mark, Luke and John, new doubts arose on the relationship.

Let me get straight to the point here. Death of Jesus is portrayed as below in four different gospels:

Mathew : Jesus cried out in a loud voice “My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?”

Mark : Jesus cried out in a loud voice “My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?”

Luke: Jesus called out with a loud voice, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit."

John: Jesus said, "It is finished”

I have read explanations on the narrations in Bible. And the time and different factors those influenced the writings on Jesus and how they differ from each other.

My question/doubt here would be that why is the relationship with god different in different testaments?

If Jesus really asked why God has forsaken him, wouldn’t that change every single belief of Jesus as son of God? My understanding is that he is in ever unison with his father and hence knew what exactly is going to come. That includes the things (going to be) done by Judas Escariot as well. The very basic belief of mine was shattered as I kept on reading this time and over and started asking my friends about it.

They have had explanations on the belief side of things and one even monologued: ‘If jesus had really asked like that, there should be a reason! Hmmmmm..’ Some had explanations on why the portrayals on death of Jesus differ in different gospels. My aspect of the question would rather be philosophical than historical/logical/religious.

This might be an easy explanation for you to do as you seem to know a lot. But be aware that my thirst does not get quenched by loose explanations. I need to find the philosophical meaning of uttering such a sentence when Jesus parts life. More so, since it does not appear to be there in Luke’s and John’s.

In my thoughts, jesus as he appears in Mathew’s or Mark’s is differ much from the one who appears in Luke’s or John’s. That contradicts the whole bible…

-Ragesh.

Remya’s reply, though not answering the questions directly, impart a good insider view:

Hi Ragesh

No doubt is stupid.I completely empathise with your doubts cos I've
been the biggest skeptic I ever knew...but that said, I really dont
even UNDERSTAND what your doubt is.

And I am not sure I can give you a 'theological' explanation cos I am
not a theologian. My walk as a Christian started just two years ago,
and I am still learning to walk! But one thing I have learnt....that
Christianity can never be understood as one understands Nietzsche or
Schpopenaeur, Dostoevsky or any other great philolospher. It is not a
philosophy and it is not a religion. It is a relationship and for a
relationship, you need to actually KNOW the other person.

I've also learnt that there is a world of difference in looking at the
Bible as an outsider and as an insider. The difference lies that when
yu look at it as an outsider, your mind does not really understand
everything but when you are an insider, the Holy Spirit, (am sure you
came across the Holy Spirit in your readings??) gives you revelation
in the spirit. It must be experienced to be really understood

That said let me move on to your questions, which again, I must say
that I do not completely understand....because how can I give you the
philosophical meaning of something that was never meant to be a
philosophy?

The exact relationship of Jesus is that of Father and Son and He knew
what was coming. So, why does He cry? His anguished cry just reflects
His humanity. It is asomething that's difficult to grasp--but just
like Jesus was 100% God, He was also 100% human!! He went through the
same pain, the same self-doubt, the same anguish, the same darkness.

Which is why in the book of Hebrews, Paul tells the church that Christ
understands everything because "He was in all ways as we are, yet
without sin."

Being human, when we are in deep anguish, we DO tend to think that God
has forsaken and forgotten us. You would not in fact be able to
understand it from the outside. So let me tell it to you from the
inside.

My Bible tells me that the minute I accept and acknowledge God's
sovereignty and supremacy, I am allowed to lay claim of the promise
found in Jeremiah," For I know the plans that I have for you, plans to
prosper you, plans to give you a hope and a future." And my faith in
God allows me to KNOW that the end is gonna be good. But when I am
actually travelling the tough, uphill road, that knowledge is marred
vy very REAL pain and suffering.

When everything in the natural world contradicts my KNOWLEDGE of God's
goodness,when my pain doesnt cease and the hurt still hurts, my cry
would be very similar to that of Jesus.

A feeling of having been LET DOWN by God.... It is an emotion that I'd
call the flip side of extreme intimacy.

There have been times without number when I have cried out to God and
He has seemed elusive. Does that invalidate my belief and make Him
less of God? Does it make me less of a child?

Or shall I believe that God is allowing me to walk the valley of the
shadow of death by sheer faith that is not founded on sight?

I dont think the gospels differ in their perception of Jesus as Son of
God. In fact, they are unanimous about the fact. But it has been
recorded by people and people are subjective. They highlight things
that stand out for them and that could be because something that was
said or done struck them with peculiar force...for instance, if I was
going through a financial crunch at the time, and JEsus had spoken
about money among other things, I'd latch on to THOSE teachings and
when I wrote a gospel, because the money stuff had personally
benefited me, my version might have a lot to do with money.

Or, if I had been goin through a rough time in my relationship with
God and if I'd been struggling with not being able to FEEL God's
presence, I'd latch on to the forsaking statement cos I'd think,"Hey,
I am not alone! Even Jesus felt forsaken, but God hadn't really
forsaken Him."

And I'd take heart cos the Bible is transparent enough to admit that
even God when He came down as man went through the SAME darkness, the
same loneliness, the SAME agony that I am now going through. Even the
Son of God felt forsaken by God but because I know that God had not
really forsaken Him, I take heart!

The fact that Jesus as God who dwelt among us, has travelled the same
path as me, makes Him more approachable somehow cos I don't feel
quite so guilty about crying out to God. And when my deliverance
finally comes, I will be able to understand that kind of anguished cry
that comes from someone else, who travels the same path...which is why
elsewhere Jesus is called our Mediator, Intercessor and High Priest
who presents our case before God because He's been there and done it.

I think the four gospel 'versions' put together give a fuller view of
Jesus...and I didnt realise it until now. And I realise that Jesus's
reaction is very much like mine when I am disturbed.

Stormy tears(Matthew and Mark)-->Surrender(Luke)-->Peace
(John).Consider it in isolation or consider it as a whole--but it
still shows you pieces of the same person, and it showcases the very
charged emotions of the people narrating it.

But all said and done, Let me leave you with just two thoughts :

"For we know in part and we prophesy in part but when that which is
perfect is come, we shall know even as we are known."

Meaning that God never revealed EVERYTHING. If He had, nobody would
require faith. Faith is that which believes beforehand what would only
make sense in reverse!!

The 2nd thought is this : "For since, in the wisdom of God, the world
did not know God through wisdom, God decided, through the foolishness
of what was preached, to save those who believe. For Jews demand signs
and Greeks desire wisdom, but we proclaim Christ crucified, a
stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to those who
are the called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the
wisdom of God."

Which means that the gospel when analysed with our minds will never
make sense...perhaps the reason why Remya the Philosopher and Poet
never quite "got it":)

Do keep mailing. What I've told you makes perfect sense to me, but
that could be cos I am an 'insider'. Ask me the outsider questions. I
am still learning, so contrary to what you think I dont know it
all.And as for convincing anybody, I can't do that even. Cos what you
choose to believe is ultimately just that--a choice...YOUR choice.

I do pray (yes I do!) that some day, what I say will make perfect
sense to you too.

***********************************************************
I asked Remya's permission to post this a month back. She did not respond. I now take the liberty to publish this [ if my blogging can be called publishing- i.e.]. Thank 'you', the reader, who had the patience to read until this sentence.
***********************************************************
- Retarde

1 Comments:

Blogger Shuba said...

I am a believer in GOD .. it is not like i do not believe in the names each religion has given god

it is more like, i believe in each and every name..

I have always thought that religions could co exist..

this post tells me something i wanted to know for long.. how a Christian views Christianity..

Thanks for that

You know what I think of the differences in Gospels..esp in the context of what u quoted.. this is also extremely outsider view, pls forgive indiscrepancies

I think Jesus tells that whatever u feel when u r in tough spot.. what matters is that finally thinks turn out perfectly fine.. the way that is good..Pain is not pleasure, but pain is also a step in attaining pleasure..You may suffer in order to acheive the goal u want.. then the pain will seem maddeningly joyful!!

well one can talk and talk abt religion...

10:17 am, August 09, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home